2017 Joint DCB/DVM Southeast Regional SICB Meeting
SICB Joint DCB/DVM Southeast Meeting
We're happy to announce that the 2017 joint Southeast Regional Meeting of the Division of Comparative Biomechanics and Division of Vertebrate Morphology will be held on Saturday, November 11 at Virginia Tech. This year's meeting will be hosted by Martha Muñoz and Hodjat Pendar. Our aim is to provide an inviting and comfortable atmosphere for students, faculty, and postdocs to discuss their ongoing research projects through short (5-10 minute) talks and copious breaks. Because there is great interest at Virginia Tech in bio-inspired engineering, we will also invite contributions from engineers whose work might have relevance to organismal form and function, and we hope to stimulate new interactions across disciplines. We also encourage talks that bridge connections among the various disciplines of SICB to foster our broader goal of doing integrative and cross-disciplinary research in biology.
Registration is free and we will provide both breakfast and lunch for our attendees. As we get a better estimate of numbers we will be able to inform you regarding meals. Please use this google form to register for regional SICB.
We would like to thank the generosity of three departments/institutes within Virginia Tech: The Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science, the Department of Biological Sciences, and the Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics. Thanks to their generosity, there will be no cost to registration for this meeting, and we will be able to provide our attendees with breakfast and lunch.
This year our plenary speaker will be Dr. Haibo Dong, Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Virginia.
The regional meeting will be held in the New Classroom Building (Room 160). This building is located at the corner of West Campus Drive and Perry Street. Parking is free on weekends in the nearby Perry Street Lot.
In the google form, you will be able to supply a talk title and 3-5 keywords for your talk. Please submit your talk information by October 15, 2017 to be included in the program.
Because this is a locally-organized meeting, it's important for planning to get a rough gauge of interest, so please register as soon as possible. We really hope you can make it for the intellectual stimulation and enjoyment of the late fall in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains.
Martha & Hodjat
Hotel & Accommodations:
The local Hilton Garden Inn (900 Plantation Road) will be offering us discounted rooms for $110/night (prior to taxes). (Normal rates are $130-150.) This hotel is only a short drive (few minutes) from the conference and in general is a very good option. Click here to reserve a room. (The group code should already be input.) Please note that although Nov. 6 is not a football date, there is a VT-Georgia Tech game on Nov. 11, and the fans might be staying for the weekend. So the earlier you book, the better.
1. Days Inn Blacksburg (540-951-1330), 3503 Holiday Ln; decent
2. Comfort Inn Blacksburg (540-951-1500), 3705 S Main Street; decent
3. Holiday Inn Blacksburg (540) 552-5636, 1020 Plantation Rd; should be pretty good
4. Courtyard by Marriott Blackburg (540-552-5222), 105 Southpark Dr.; probably the nicest option, but likely the most expensive.
5. Red Carpet Inn (540-552-4011), 1615 S Main St.; decidedly motel-ish
6. The Inn at Virginia Tech: (540) 231-8000, 901 Prices Fork Rd; very nice
Directions and Parking:
Note: the following are general instructions from VT’s web site. We will be posting meeting-specific parking instructions soon.
1. The Directions to Campus page provides detailed driving, plane, train, and bus directions.
2. On weekends you do not need parking permits for most lots. Refer to this list for the exceptions. Be sure to check signs for any 24-hour faculty-staff notations before parking.
3. On weekdays (if you arrive during the day on Friday and want to visit), you'll need a visitor's parking permit from the Visitor's Center. See Parking Services' visitors page and parking map (PDF) for details.
Thank you so much to our wonderful sponsors!!